Re: Reverse pattern match. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Moonstruck
Subject Re: Reverse pattern match.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Many thanks... got it now.

Example...

sox=# select * from regexpatt;pattern |            description
---------+------------------------------------^b      | starts with a B^a      | starts with an A^c.*l$   | starts with
aC and ends with an L

(3 rows)

sox=# select description from regexpatt where 'bravo' ~ pattern; description
----------------starts with a B
(1 row)

sox=# select description from regexpatt where 'caramel' ~ pattern;           description
------------------------------------starts with a C and ends with an L
(1 row)

"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote in message
Moonstruck,

> I want to create a table of  regular expression patterns (for assessing
> phone numbers), something like:
> CREATE TABLE CallType ( pattern varchar primary key,
>                         type    varchar,
>                         rate    int4);
> INSERT INTO CallType VALUES ('0[3-9]________','Interstate Call',50);
> INSERT INTO CallType VALUES ('9_______','Local Call',25);
> INSERT INTO CallType VALUES ('0011__________%','International Call',100);

PostgreSQL supports real Regular Expressions, via the ~ operator.   See "~"
under "functions and operators", and then consult your favorite book or
online ressouce on how to compose regexps.

An example of "is not in 415 area code" would be
phone_no ~ '^415\d{7}'
which should be "415" at the beginning followed by at least 7 other digits.

(Folks, please correct my regex code if it's bad!)

The disadvantage to this approach is that it cannot be indexed.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco