Re: Storing images in PostgreSQL databases (again) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marco Bizzarri
Subject Re: Storing images in PostgreSQL databases (again)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi.

I can provide some "insight" on the difference between the two interfaces.

AFAIK, the difference is in size of the file you can store, and in the
interface you have when you want to access.

The size is not important (I think), since you are far below the limit.

For the interface, the bytea gives you a "query" based interfaces,
while largeobject are able to provide a file based interface.

With Large Object, you can avoid reading the whole object with one
read, or you can even move inside the Large Object, which can be
useful if you have large files stored.

I think there are differences also in how the space is reclaimed, but
my PostgreSQL - Fu stops here.

Regards
Marco

--