Fwd: Long term database archival - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marco Bizzarri
Subject Fwd: Long term database archival
Date
List pgsql-general
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marco Bizzarri <marco.bizzarri@gmail.com>
Date: Jul 12, 2006 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Long term database archival
To: "Karl O. Pinc" <kop@meme.com>

Long term archival of electronic data is a BIG problem in the
archivist community. I remember, a few years ago, a paper describing
the problem of historical (20+ years old) data which were running the
risk of being lost simply because of lacking of proper hardware.

What I would suggest is to explore the problem trying to search first
with experience and research already done on the topic. The topic
itself is big, and it is not simply a matter of how you dumped the
data.

A little exploration in the archivist community could produce some
useful result for your problem.

Regards
Marco

--