Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4566: pg_stop_backup() reports incorrect STOP WAL LOCATION - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4566: pg_stop_backup() reports incorrect STOP WAL LOCATION
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Takahiro Itagaki
<itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> But it was rejected because its change might break the existing app.
>
> It might break existing applications if it returns "FE" instead of "FF",
> but never-used filename surprises users. (IMO, the existing apps probably
> crash if "FF" returned, i.e, 1/256 of the time.)
>
> Should it return the *next* reasonable log filename instead of "FF"?
> For example, 000000020000002000000000 for the above case.

I wonder if that change also breaks the existing app. But since
I've never seen the app that doesn't use that filename at face
value, I agree to change the existing (odd for me) behavior of
pg_stop_backup().

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao