Re: many animals are running old clients - Mailing list buildfarm-members

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: many animals are running old clients
Date
List buildfarm-members

On 08/18/2018 11:12 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> On 08/18/2018 06:48 AM, Mikael Kjellström wrote:
>>> Every time I upgrade I need to go through all the .pl-files and change
>>> the path to where perl is located as different os/distros has perl at
>>> different paths and also it's not even consistent within the shipped
>>> files.
>> Would it help if I added a script to set the perl locations?
> Is it really necessary to touch the shebang lines at all?
> I thought if you invoked the top script with
>     perl-of-choice /path/to/run_build.pl ... args ...
> then you'd be good.  If that's not so, maybe we could make it work?

Sadly it's not quite that simple. run_branches has this code:

    sub run_branch
    {
         my $branch = shift;
         my @args = ($run_build,
    PGBuild::Options::standard_option_list(), $branch);

         # Explicitly use perl from the path (and not this perl, so
    don't use $^X)
         # This script needs to run on Cygwin with non-cygwin perl if
    it's running
         # in tandem with AS/MinGW perl, since Cygwin perl doesn't honor
    locks
         # the samne way, and the global lock fails. But the build
    script needs
         # to run with the native perl, even on Cygwin, which it picks
    up from
         # the path. (Head exploding yet?).
         system("perl", @args);
         return;
    }

I could probably reasonably limit that so that everywhere but Cygwin we
use the called perl. Windows is really the only place where we have to
wrestle with multiple perls.

>>> I also go through the config-file line by line to see if anything is
>>> changed or added.
> Yeah, this bit is the most time-consuming for me.  Not sure what's to
> be done about it.

It's in my list of things to consider. One of the things on the roadmap
in my head is a possible switch to a YAML config file.

Perhaps I should publish in the release notes a diff of the sample
config file against the previous release.

cheers

andrew