VACUUM FULL on 24/7 server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Aleksey Serba
Subject VACUUM FULL on 24/7 server
Date
List pgsql-general
   Hello!

   I have 24/7 production server under high load.
   I need to perform vacuum full on several tables to recover disk
   space / memory  usage frequently ( the server must be online during
vacuum time )
   The one trick that i see is to try to vacuum duplicate of
   production database ( or just some tables ).
   But there are some pitfalls:
       http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/backup-file.html
       "If you have dug into the details of the file system layout of
       the data you may be tempted to try to back up or restore only
       certain individual tables or databases from their respective
       files or directories. This will not work because the
       information contained in these files contains only half the
       truth. The other half is in the commit log files pg_clog/*,
       which contain the commit status of all transactions. A table
       file is only usable with this information. Of course it is also
       impossible to restore only a table and the associated pg_clog
       data because that would render all other tables in the database
       cluster useless."

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks in advance,
           Aleksey