Re: No Message "PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation successfully made. Ready to install." - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: No Message "PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation successfully made. Ready to install."
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 13.08.24 10:07, William Sescu (Suva) wrote:
> There used to be messages like the following after running make or make
> or make install-world, after the compilation of PostgreSQL.
>
> -- "PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation successfully made. Ready to
> install."
>
> -- "PostgreSQL, contrib, and documentation installation complete."
>
> However, with PostgreSQL 14.13 this is not the case anymore. (At least
> on Red Hat 9.4).
>
> Is there any reason why this messages do not show up anymore? I found
> them quite useful.

Here is the development discussion about it:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/6a421136-d462-b043-a8eb-e75b2861f3df%40dunslane.net

I guess the summary is that people preferred less chatter during the
build, and that removing the messages made refactoring some make targets
easier.