[HACKERS] Odd listen_addresses behavior - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject [HACKERS] Odd listen_addresses behavior
Date
List pgsql-hackers
-hackers,

I found this today:

jd@jd-wks:~/snap/postgresql96/common/data$
/snap/postgresql96/19/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D data stop
pg_ctl: directory "data" does not exist

jd@jd-wks:~/snap/postgresql96/common/data$ cd ..

jd@jd-wks:~/snap/postgresql96/common$
/snap/postgresql96/19/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D data stop
waiting for server to shut down...LOG:  received fast shutdown request
.LOG:  aborting any active transactions
LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down done
server stopped

jd@jd-wks:~/snap/postgresql96/common$ grep listen_addresses
data/postgresql.conf
listen_addresses = '192*'        # what IP address(es) to listen on;

-- I wasn't actually expecting the above to work. I was just testing.

jd@jd-wks:~/snap/postgresql96/common$
/snap/postgresql96/19/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D data start
server starting

jd@jd-wks:~/snap/postgresql96/common$ postgresql96.psql -U jd -h
localhost postgres
psql (9.6.2)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# show listen_addresses ; listen_addresses
(1 row)

I grant that this is obscure but perhaps we should do something about it?

Thanks,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.