Re: Heap WARM Tuples - Design Draft - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Heap WARM Tuples - Design Draft
Date
Re: Heap WARM Tuples - Design Draft  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/8/16 3:19 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> What will help, and something I haven't yet applied any thoughts, is when we
>> > can turn WARM chains back to HOT by removing stale index entries.
> I can't see how we can ever do that because we have multiple indexes
> pointing to the chain, and keys that might be duplicated if we switched
> to HOT.  Seems only VACUUM can fix that.

Are these changes still predicated on being able to re-find all index
entries by key value? If so, that makes incremental vacuums practical,
perhaps eliminating a lot of these issues.

>> > That's correct. But lp_len provides us some place to stash information from
>> > heap tuples when they are pruned.
> Right.  However, I see storing information at prune time as only useful
> if you are willing to scan the chain, and frankly, I have given up on
> chain scanning (with column comparisons) as being too expensive for
> its limited value.

What if some of this work happened asynchronously? I'm thinking
something that runs through shared_buffers in front of bgwriter.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461