Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jesper Pedersen
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: Local indexes for partitioned table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 11/14/2017 12:49 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Thanks, pushed.
>
> Here's the remaining bits, rebased.

First of all, thanks for working on this.

I have been looking at the "CREATE INDEX ... ONLY" syntax, and I think
it could cause some confusion due to the "Note" described in
create_index.sgml.

An alternative, maybe crazy, could be to treat a partitioned index as
one; e.g. all operations are on the definition. That way ONLY, ATTACH
and DETACH could be eliminated. Once a partition is detached any
partitioned indexes would be marked as a normal index, and a partition
could only be attached if it had indexes satisfying all partition index
definitions. Bloat could be handled by swapping the index as suggested
by David [1]. It would be less flexible, but people always have the
option to define indexes directly on the partitions.

Some comments.

0004's alter_index.sgml are missing the "PARTITION" keyword for both the
ATTACH and DETACH commands.

A small thing, for

-- test.sql --
CREATE TABLE test (a integer NOT NULL) PARTITION BY HASH(a);
CREATE TABLE test_p00 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES WITH (MODULUS 2,
REMAINDER 0);
CREATE TABLE test_p01 PARTITION OF test FOR VALUES WITH (MODULUS 2,
REMAINDER 1);
CREATE INDEX idx_test_a ON test (a);
-- test.sql --

I would expect that the index names were 'test_p00_idx_test_a' and
'test_p01_idx_test_a'.

psql completion for "CREATE INDEX blah ON tes<TAB>" only lists the child
tables. Completion for the ALTER INDEX commands is missing.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAKJS1f_Wf%3DM06o8iQi72SxN%2BZpLV4c0CwYoN5xYVY4aWWX-jBQ%40mail.gmail.com

Best regards, Jesper