Re: PostgreSQL 13 press release draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 13 press release draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 8/17/20 3:31 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 17:07, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
>> * The press kit has been slimmed down. This is due to an overall
>> decrease in actual traffic to the press release through the years,
>> though downloads themselves have gone up after the release! This likely
>> due to fragmentation of how people consume PostgreSQL news, as today the
>> release serves more as a "hey the new PostgreSQL software is available!"
>
> It's also because this information is no longer available after
> release, we just show them directly to the more detailed release
> notes.

Well, the numbers are much lower even when it is "news" -- that's the
period I typically measure.

> That's a shame because there is lots of good work in the release announcement.

Before I helped to write these, I used to refer to them a lot to
actually understand what was in a release :)

To your point, perhaps we can make it a bit more visible / accessible on
the website. The presskits themselves are a bit buried after the
release[1] but perhaps we can rearrange some things to make them more
visible for longer. It still does not resolve the first problem I
mention (traffic to press release down even as news...though will still
take the "downloads up" overall problem. So long as we spread awareness!)

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/about/press/

Attachment