Re: PostgreSQL 13 press release draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 13 press release draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 5:21 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
On 8/17/20 3:31 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 at 17:07, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
>> * The press kit has been slimmed down. This is due to an overall
>> decrease in actual traffic to the press release through the years,
>> though downloads themselves have gone up after the release! This likely
>> due to fragmentation of how people consume PostgreSQL news, as today the
>> release serves more as a "hey the new PostgreSQL software is available!"
>
> It's also because this information is no longer available after
> release, we just show them directly to the more detailed release
> notes.

Well, the numbers are much lower even when it is "news" -- that's the
period I typically measure.

> That's a shame because there is lots of good work in the release announcement.

Before I helped to write these, I used to refer to them a lot to
actually understand what was in a release :)

To your point, perhaps we can make it a bit more visible / accessible on
the website. The presskits themselves are a bit buried after the
release[1] but perhaps we can rearrange some things to make them more
visible for longer. It still does not resolve the first problem I
mention (traffic to press release down even as news...though will still
take the "downloads up" overall problem. So long as we spread awareness!)

Maybe we should link them from the documentation pages, the same way we do with direct links to the release notes?