Re: How to implement a "subordinate database"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From chris smith
Subject Re: How to implement a "subordinate database"?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/19/06, Kynn Jones <kynnjo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I keep bumping against this situation: I have a main database A, and I want
> to implement a database B, that is distinct from A, but subordinate to it,
> meaning that it refers to data in A, but not vice versa.
>
> I don't simply want to add new tables to A to implement B, because this
> unnecessarily clutters A's schema with tables that entirely extraneous to
> it.

Hmm. Postgres supports table inheritance, but I don't think it
supports schema or database inheritance in the way you want it to.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/tutorial-inheritance.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-inherit.html

--
Postgresql & php tutorials