Re: INSERT question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Wilco Boschman
Subject Re: INSERT question
Date
List pgsql-sql
Insert the row into the parent table (the one with the primary key), then do
a   select max(<serial-column>) from parent_table;
This will give you the greatest number in the table, that is if everything
went ok the number from the row you just inserted. Then insert the row(s)
into the second table and use the value you got from the parent table in the
foreign key

cheers

Wilco