Re: Importing Access 97 Database into 7.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From prinsarian@zonnet.nl (Arian Prins)
Subject Re: Importing Access 97 Database into 7.1.3
Date
List pgsql-general
I had the same problems.

Exporting a table using access means access will analyse your table
and try to figure out the best fitting sql. In my case it also left
out primary key definitions and indexes.

Try this:

Create the table-definitions in postgresql. Or export only the
definitions to postgresql and then edit them so that they are 100%
okay. You can leave most of the indexes out until you've got all your
data imported of course.

Then, in your access-database, create ODBC-links to your newly created
[still empty] tables. Since they have the same name as your
access-tables, you will get somthing like
MyFirsttable  [the access-table]
MyFirsttable1 [the odbc-link to pg]
MySecondtable
MySecondtable1

Then create append-queries in the access-queries-windows.
The SQL-query should be something like SELECT INTO Myfirsttable1
SELECT * from MyFirsttable

Do that for all your tables. If you want you can create a macro that
executes them all, one by one. Start the macro.... Wait/Go home....
And Presto!

Arian.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 04:08:53 +0000 (UTC), pgsql@happyhacker.com
("Aaron Rouse") wrote:

>    I have the need to import an Access 97 database into PGSQL 7.1.3  It has
>been a long time since I had to do this and back when I did, I just used the
>PGAdmin tool which worked fine at the time with the exception of not
>converting AutoNumber data types to Serial, but to Int datatypes.  I do not
>see a way to import Access DBs with the new PGAdmin II tool and so far the
>only way I am finding to import the database is to import each table one by
>one via a ODBC connection and the export feature in Access.  This method
>still gives the same problem with the Autonumber datatype being converted to
>Int and I am assuming it leaves out any indexes or default values as well.
>Is there another way to import this database that I might be missing?
>
>Thanks for any help.

>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Arian Prins
prinsarian
apetale
zonnet