OT: Performance of VM - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas Güttler
Subject OT: Performance of VM
Date
List pgsql-performance
This is a bit off-topic, since it is not about the performance of PG itself.

But maybe some have the same issue.

We run PostgreSQL in virtual machines which get provided by our customer.

We are not responsible for the hypervisor and have not access to it.

The IO performance of our application was terrible slow yesterday.

The users blamed us, but it seems that there was something wrong with the hypervisor.

For the next time I would like to have reliable figures, to underline my guess that the hypervisor (and not our
application) is the bottle neck.

I have the vague strategy to make some io performance check every N minutes and record the numbers.

Of course I could do some dirty scripting, but I would like to avoid to re-invent things. I guess this was already
solved by people which have more brain and more experience than I have :-)

What do you suggest to get some reliable figures?

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/