Re: CLUSTER on partitioned index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: CLUSTER on partitioned index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2021-07-20 at 20:27 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I have to wonder if there really *is* a use case for CLUSTER in the
> first place on regular tables, let alone on partitioned tables, which
> are likely to be large and thus take a lot of time.  What justifies
> spending so much time on this implementation?  My impression is that
> CLUSTER is pretty much a fringe command nowadays, because of the access
> exclusive lock required.
>
> Does anybody actually use it?

I see is used in the field occasionally, as it can really drastically
improve performance.  But I admit is is not frequently used.

In a data warehouse, which is updated only occasionally, running
CLUSTER after an update can make a lot of sense.

I personally think that it is enough to be able to cluster the table
partiton by partition.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe