Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix and simplify check forwhether we're running as Windows serv - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix and simplify check forwhether we're running as Windows serv
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/22/2017 07:44 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> I did some archeology, and found CheckTokenMembership() in MinGW's w32api
>>> packages version 3.14
>>> (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/w32api/w32api-3.14/,
>>> in include/winbase.h). According to the timestamps on that download page,
>>> that was released in 2009. That was the oldest version I could find, so it
>>> might go even further back.
>>>
>>> Dave, do you know exactly what version of MinGW narwhal is running? And how
>>> difficult is it to upgrade to something slightly more modern? Ease of
>>> upgrade is another good data point on how far we need to support old
>>> versions.
>>
>> Given that this was backpatched and that it broke narwhal in all
>> branches, I think the solution needs to make narwhal work again without
>> requiring it to upgrade; so we should acquire CheckTokenMembership via
>> dynloading just like we do the other functions.  If we want to require a
>> newer mingw version in pg10, that's acceptable, but it should be a
>> separate patch.
>
> +1 for not moving the minimum system requirements in the back-branches.

Ok. I reverted this patch in the back-branches, and applied the much
less invasive "V2" patch [1] instead. HEAD is unchanged, so narwhal
still fails there.

Dave: the consensus is that we no longer support the old version of
MinGW that narwhal is using, for PostgreSQL v 10. Can you modify the
configuration of narwhal to not try building 'master' anymore, or
upgrade the toolchain, please?

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAB7nPqSvfu%3DKpJ%3DNX%2BYAHmgAmQdzA7N5h31BjzXeMgczhGCC%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com

- Heikki