Data format between UNIX box and Windows clients? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From lender@tc.umn.edu (Paul A. Lender)
Subject Data format between UNIX box and Windows clients?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi folks,

I tried this on the novice group last week with no responses.

I've got a FreeBSD box running PostgreSQL 7.0.3 and Windows clients
that talk to it via LIBPQ.DLL (Zeos controls, ODBC, pgAccess...).

I have a firewall on the BSD box using ipf, but I have to assume -- at
least for the sake of argument -- that someone can still monitor data
coming off the box.

MY QUESTION -- When query results are sent to the client, where does
the conversion of stored binary data to easily readable TEXT take
place:  on the server before it leaves for the clients, or at
libpq.dll ON the clients?

If the transfer between boxes IS text, does anyone have experience
using an encrypted connection between a Unix box and a Windows client?

Thanks in advance...

-- Paul Lender
Paul A. Lender
Univ. of Minnesota Dept. Orthopaedic Surgery
lender@tc.umn.edu