Re: Another question on indexes (drop and recreate) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Yves Vindevogel
Subject Re: Another question on indexes (drop and recreate)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Ok, tnx !!

On 21 Jun 2005, at 18:54, John A Meinel wrote:

<excerpt>Yves Vindevogel wrote:

<excerpt>I only add records, and most of the values are "random"

Except the columns for dates, ....

</excerpt>

I doubt that you would need to recreate indexes. That really only needs

to be done in pathological cases, most of which have been fixed in the

latest postgres.

If you are only inserting (never updating or deleting), the index can

never bloat, since you are only adding new stuff.

(You cannot get dead items to bloat your index if you never delete

anything.)

John

=:->

</excerpt>Met vriendelijke groeten,

Bien à vous,

Kind regards,

<bold>Yves Vindevogel</bold>

<bold>Implements</bold>

<smaller>

</smaller>Ok, tnx !!

On 21 Jun 2005, at 18:54, John A Meinel wrote:

> Yves Vindevogel wrote:
>
>> I only add records, and most of the values are "random"
>> Except the columns for dates, ....
>
> I doubt that you would need to recreate indexes. That really only needs
> to be done in pathological cases, most of which have been fixed in the
> latest postgres.
>
> If you are only inserting (never updating or deleting), the index can
> never bloat, since you are only adding new stuff.
> (You cannot get dead items to bloat your index if you never delete
> anything.)
>
> John
> =:->

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Bien à vous,
Kind regards,

Yves Vindevogel
Implements

<smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

<italic><x-tad-smaller>

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi.</x-tad-smaller></italic></smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.
Mahatma Ghandi.

Attachment