Re: psql \i handling ~ in specified file name - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: psql \i handling ~ in specified file name
Date
List pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>>As I remember, MSDOS uses the "~" to specify short versions of long file
>>>names.
>>>

>>I is not just msdos, it is cmd.exe which exists on (to my knowledge) all
>>versions of windows. For example:
>>Program Files == progra~1
>>

>Yes, I meant it is a hold-over from dealing with MS-DOS style 8.3 file
>names.

This pattern should not cause tilde expansion on any platform, I
believe.  Only a *leading* ~/ or ~username/ should be expanded.

The normal "home" directory on a (modern) Windows machine is usually
"C:\Documents and Settings\username", IIRC.

cheers

andrew