PostgreSQL Array Syntax - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Evan Klinger
Subject PostgreSQL Array Syntax
Date
List pgsql-sql
Good afternoon.

I am attempting to create a PHP script that inserts values into a
PostgreSQL database, where some of the columns are two dimensional
arrays. I read the docs and it says that array elements must be matched
and that is what I am confused about. Does that mean that
ARRAY[['eng_labs'], ['eng_labs', 'mst_labs', 'ics_labs']] is incorrect
array syntax? If so, I am assuming that the way to correct it would be:
ARRAY[['eng_labs', '', ''], ['eng_labs', 'mst_labs', 'ics_labs']]. Thus,
each multidimensional array must have values in place for the largest
element, correct?

Thank you for your time
Evan Klinger
--