Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?  ("John Sidney-Woollett" <johnsw@wardbrook.com>)
List pgsql-general
By that logic then, we can probably ditch the PG Tutorial altogether and
provide a quick ref card of PG commands and keywords, with a few pages
on how PG is different should be plenty.

The bisggest problem that I faced when moving to PG was the complete
lack of any cetralised information source for this information.  Sure
there are tutorials on the web, first track them down, then convert
their use to PG then collate them, then make some sense of it all.
This is the kind of aloofness that I have mentioned previously, just
because it doesn't belong, doesn't mean it's not needed, and it only
needs to be written once.  Although I know some of the concepts and I'm
beginning to grock them, I'm still trying to collate enough to satisfy
my needs.

Assuming yo *do* want to grow the PG community and attract people from
other systems, the easier the transition for them, the less likely they
are to look elsewhere for something that appears easier.   Easier
doesn't always mean easier to use, sometimes it can mean easier to get
to grips with.

T.