Re: Waiting on a transaction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Waiting on a transaction
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 16, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:

> So then I wondered if my application should set an alarm and timeout
> with an error if, by odd chance, an update hangs.  Trying to be a bit
> more robust -- not that the application could recover, but at least it
> could spit out an error other than hang.

Robustness in the face of breakage is always good.  Since you're
programming in transactions already, you have planned for failed
commits anyhow, so adding timeouts will probably not cause any
significant harm to your program.

The  trick is dealing with statement timeouts on shared pool
connections over mod_perl and Apache::DBI.  I haven't satisfied
myself yet that the timeout will be unset when the next connection
uses the DB...

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806