Re: Performance related to size of tables - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Performance related to size of tables
Date
List pgsql-performance
If you want to speed up the elapsed times, then the first thing would be
to attempt to reduce the IO using some indexes, e.g. on test1(anumber),
test2(anumber), test3((anumber%13)), test3((anumber%5)) and
test4((anumber%27))

However if you wish to keep hammering the IO then the you would not use
any indexes. However elapsed times for operations like:

CREATE TABLE test4 AS SELECT ... FROM test1 JOIN test2 ON
test1.anumber=test2.anumber;

are going to increase non linearly with the size of the source table
test1 (unless there are indexes on the anumber columns).

I think this particular test is designed as a testbed for measuring IO
performance - as opposed to Postgresql performance.

regards

Mark