Re: JDBC Scalar functions - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Xavier Poinsard
Subject Re: JDBC Scalar functions
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Rajat Katyal wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  From the JDBC specification I came to know that we can use JDBC scalar
> functions(String, numeric and Date/time functions) to avoid database
> dependency as the driver will map the JDBC scalar function (escaped
> function) call into the native syntax or implement the function directly.
>
> In *postgresql*, I tried executing these functions (JDBC Scalar
> functions) but they are not executing. Even if we use /DatabaseMetadata/
> functions *getStringFunctions*(), *getNumericFunctions*() etc they
> returned */null/*. Iam using *pg73jdbc3.jar driver and **PostgreSQL
> 7.3.2 database.* *  *

=> functions *getStringFunctions*(), *getNumericFunctions*() are
correctly indicating that none is implemented.

> **
> When I tried such functions on Oracle and SqlServer2000 using there
> respective driver they worked fine. For example:
>
> {fn concat("Hot", "Java")}
>
> {fn user()} etc.....
>
> /My question is:/
>
> *Whether Postgres Driver supports JDBC Scalar functions or not? *
No.

> */If not then is there any other way to execute them so that we can make
> our query database independent./*
To build you queries use functions which will use jdbc scalar functions
for drivers that support them and specific sql for other.