Re: Cannot add an column of type serial or bigserial - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Cannot add an column of type serial or bigserial
Date
Re: Cannot add an column of type serial or  (David Sigeti <sigeti@lanl.gov>)
List pgadmin-support
David Sigeti wrote:

> Dear Pgadmin Folks,
>
> I am using pgadminIII 1.0.2 with PostgreSQL 7.4 under W2K SP4 and
> Cygwin (current as of 2 or 3 weeks ago).  The server is running locally.
>
> If I attempt to add an column of type serial or bigserial to a table,
> the operation fails with a message telling me that adding an column
> with a default value is not implemented.  What is really weird is that
> one can, in fact, add a column with a default value, like an int4 with
> a default value or 0.  The problem does not arise if the serial (or
> bigserial) column is created when the table is created (as a part of
> CREATE TABLE).

serial isn't a true datatype but a keyword that can be used only at
creation time. Still, pgAdmin3 should create the commands necessary for
this to make life easier; I added this as a TODO item.

Regards,
Andreas