Re: Managing users - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sai Hertz And Control Systems
Subject Re: Managing users
Date
List pgsql-novice
Dear C G ,

> Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I need some advice.

Forgiveness granted  :-)

> I'm thinking of creating three groups (Level1 to Level3) for the 3
> types of users. Is this the best way of doing this?

Yes without doubt to my experience  this is a better method

> If a user logs on, say through a web  interface, would I have a table
> with username/passwd to check the login to the database? Or should I
> somehow use the pg_user table?

Considering you are using PHP  +PostgreSQL

You  can use the pg_user table
Just you have to  do is
1. Make two cookies variable each storing the password  and user name
2. Now in the Database connection string use the user name as the var in
Cookie and password same so it would be like
    pg_connect(blah , blah  user name=$COOKIE_VAR_USERNAME , password
=$COOKIE_VAR_PASSWORD)
Benefits
1. You will be able to use current_user() function
2. No user management system required PostgreSQL user is ur web user
3. PostgreSQL group will define levels

> Also, is there a way of monitoring how much memory a user takes up.
> For example, I have a table username/Data. How much memory does each
> username take up on that table?

I doubt but you may see
contrib/database_size function

If this helps then pass on the word "PostgreSQL is Walah !" and kindly
shoot back

Regards,
V Kashyap