Re: Minimum hardware requirements for Postgresql db - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Al Hulaton
Subject Re: Minimum hardware requirements for Postgresql db
Date
List pgsql-performance
> 1) We will be running 2 x Postgresql db  in the machine.
>
> 2) Total number of connections to be around 100. The connections from the
> clients machines will be in ODBC and socket connections.
>
> 3) Estimated number of transactions to be written into the Postgresql db is
> around 15000 records per day.

Assuming this server will be dedicated to PostgreSQL only, the needs
outlined above are modest.

As was pointed out in other posts, a simple sub-ghz machine with 512mb
of ram is more than enough, but I'd slap on a gig only because RAM is
cheaper now. If the database on this server is crucial, I'd look at
setting up a UPS, RAID (at this level, even software-based RAID will do
fine, RAID 5 preferably) and investing in a backup/replicator solution.

--
Best,
Al Hulaton    |  Sr. Account Engineer  |  Command Prompt, Inc.