Re: Was: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Was: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP
Date
List pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Me too.  I've created many functions to extract data that are joined to
> other functions.  All in all the result is not as optimal as it could
> be, because the optimizer can not poke into the functions, and the
> estimates about functions are only guesses.  If one could use
> parametrized views instead of functions the whole mess would probably be
> more optimal.

How is a "parameterized view" any different than a set returning SQL
function? In either case, you've got the same work to do to teach the
optimizer how to understand it, no? Seems like the todo is just that,
teach the optimizer how to do better with set-returning SQL functions.

Joe