Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Unihost Web Hosting
Subject Re: Postgresql on file system EXT2 or EXT3
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm in agreement with Joshua in some aspects of his reply but not
others.  I use Reiserfs on many production servers and have done so for
a couple of years.  I have needed perform one repair only on the
filesystem, which was automated with the tools provided.  Reiser is
still beta, in the same way that Debian uses the term testing to refer
to non-"stable" software.  Many people us it in a production environment
successfully.  But, as a caveat to my praises to Reiser, if you decide
to use it , understand that you *must* know your subject, how to use the
tools and how to recover from failures.  It is not enough to merely rely
on fsck getting the job done, and, in some circumstances the
incantations required to performa fix can be quite terse IMHO.

The next fs I install will be XFS after much deliberation and
conversation with like minded fellow compugeeks, since it's at least as
good as any other journaling fs, but has the added bonus that
filesystems can be *grown* without the aid of LVM, etc.  Which would be
a huge bonus.

Just my 2 cents.

Tony.