Re: lo_import for bytea columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: lo_import for bytea columns
Date
List pgsql-general
Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> However, now I have someone who wants to use this for a file that's 89MB,
> and it's taking up about 500M of memory before crashing.  I'm trying to
> find a less-memory-consuming way of handling this, even if just for a
> temporary hack for this one file.  I think what's happening is that Perl
> is reading in the 89M, and then I'm guessing that either Perl or the
> driver is converting that into a fully-escaped string for transfer, and
> this is where the problem is occuring.
>
> Any ideas?

If you can use 7.4, then see:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-exec.html

Specifically look at the PQexecParams() function. You could write a
simple command line program that uses PQexecParams() to insert your
large files. Or talk the Perl Postgres DBI driver guys into supporting
it maybe.

Joe