Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., was Re: PostgreSQL is much
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Travers wrote:
> Anyway one additional thought I had was that it should be possible to write
> parsers for text files in PL/PERLu and then plug those in as views.  In this
> way, files such as /etc/passwd or even /var/log/messages could be used as if
> they were tables in the database.  Information from these tables could then
> be selected into other tables, presented directly to an application, etc.
> While it mught be possible to do the same for MySQL, it would be much more

Copy can import delimited data with user specified delimiter. May be you can
upload the files in batch to database periodically.

Of course if you need multiple delimiter parsing, then you need to do something
about it. Sed/AWK scripts probably..

> Next question-- any ideas how one could generate something like MySQL's heap
> tables (maybe in shared memory?) within PostgreSQL?

Pardon the dumb question(Used mysql seriously onced 2 years back.). What is heap
table? What do you need that postgresql does not offer? Just trying to understand..

  Shridhar