Re: Build farm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Build farm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>

>>>FYI, the HP testdrive farm, http://www.testdrive.hp.com, has shared
>>>directories for most of the machines, meaning you can CVS update once
>>>and telnet in to compile for each platform.
>>>

>>As Peter pointed out, these machines are firewalled. But presumably
>>one could upload a snapshot to them. What I had in mind was a
>>more distributed system, though.
>>
>>Of course, these things are not mutually exclusive - using the
>>HP testdrive farm looks like it might be nice. But it would be
>>hard to automate, I suspect.
>>

>I figured you could just upload once and telnet and build on each
>machine.

What I'm working on (slowly - I'm quite busy right now, and about to be
away from home for 5 days) is a system which would (or could) run from
cron on every member of the farm, and upload its results to a central
server where it could be displayed, in a somewhat similar way to the way
the Samba build farm works - see http://build.samba.org/ - so we'd be
able to see at a glance when something is broken and where and why. We
could also incorporate email notification of breakage, as a refinement.

I have a few pieces of this working but not a full suite yet - it will
essentially be 3 perl scripts - one on the client (to run the update(s),
build(s) and upload the results) and two on the central server (one for
upload and one for display). When I get a demo page done I'll show it
working with a couple of hosts.

Of course, you can automate (almost) anything, including telnet, but
right now I'm assuming the farm members will have internet connectivity.

cheers

andrew