Re: Anyone working on pg_dump dependency ordering? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Anyone working on pg_dump dependency ordering?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> There are two levels (sort of) of dependency.  The first is that whole
> classes of objects can be dependent on whole other classes.  eg.
> databases depend on users, or ALL FK's can be dumped after ALL tables,
> etc..  It would make the dump more readable if you dumped those
> definite dependencies in that order, rather than shuffling everything up.

I agree that dumping should be done class-wise (Tables, Functions,
Views) whenever possible, but I don't agree on FKs dumped separately
from the table. IMHO indexes and constraints belong to the table, and
modifying the dump will be hard if a table's code is scattered all around.

Regards,
Andreas