Re: PGSQL on shared hosting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From rob
Subject Re: PGSQL on shared hosting
Date
List pgsql-general
> Without wanting to get flamed for gratuitous advertising, my company
> offers shared hosting with PostgreSQL 7.4.  I'll leave it at that.

Just to make it fair I'll say ditto, then ;)
>> No. The "make install" step requires a root access.

That's not true, so long as your ./configure --prefix has been set to a
user writeable directory.

The only other issue is which PORT you run it on, and this depends on
the implementation of shared hosting your provider supplies.

As IIRC the port number influences shared memory segement use and you
don't want to clash with another instance on the shared server.

Something you don't have to worry about if your provider uses the
context patch, *ahem*.

Cheers,

--
Rob Fielding