Re: SQL text of view - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: SQL text of view
Date
List pgsql-general
Yury Shvetsov wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Where is the SQL text of view stored in the database?
> I mean the text like "SELECT the_field FROM the_table".
> I can found the function's text in "pg_proc.proerc", but can't find the same
> for a view.

You can use the function pg_get_viewdef() in 7.3 to get the text of
the view. If you start psql with the -E switch you can see the queries
it uses to render its output.

When you create a view, an ON SELECT rewrite rule is automatically
created and its parse tree is stored in pg_rewrite. pg_get_viewdef()
is ultimately executing:

SELECT *
FROM pg_catalog.pg_rewrite
WHERE ev_class = <your view's pg_class.oid> AND
rulename = '_RETURN';

and reverse-parsing the stored parse tree for you.

HTH,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com