Re: Is there a more elegant way to write this query?... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Terence Kearns
Subject Re: Is there a more elegant way to write this query?...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Nick Fankhauser wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I'm suffering from a performance problem, but when I look at my query, I'm
> not convinced that there isn't a better way to handle this in SQL. -So I'm
> seeking advice here before I go to the performance list.
>
> I have three tables- case, actor and actor_case_assignment.
>
> As the names imply, actor_case_assignment contains records that assign an
> actor to a case. Actors such as attorneys or judges may have many cases,
> while the average actor (we hope) only has one.
>
> What I'm trying to do is link these tables to get back a single row per
> actor that shows the actor's name, the number of cases that actor is
> assigned to, and if they only have one case, I want the number for that
> case. This means I have to do some grouping to get the case count, but I'm
> then forced to use an aggregate function like max on the other fields. I
> hope there's a better way. Any suggestions?
>
> Here's what I'm using right now:
>
>   select
>     actor.actor_id,
>     max(actor.actor_full_name),
>     max(case_data.case_public_id),
>     max(case_data.case_id),
>     count(case_data.case_id) as case_count
>   from
>     actor,
>     actor_case_assignment,
>     case_data
>   where
>     actor.actor_full_name_uppercase like upper('martin%')
>     and actor.actor_id = actor_case_assignment.actor_id
>     and case_data.case_id = actor_case_assignment.case_id
>   group by
>     actor.actor_id
>   order by
>     max(actor.actor_full_name),
>     case_count desc,
>   limit
>     1000;
>

> Thanks!
>     -Nick

> Nick Fankhauser
>
>     nickf@doxpop.com  Phone 1.765.965.7363  Fax 1.765.962.9788
> doxpop - Court records at your fingertips - http://www.doxpop.com/

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

selectcount(as.case_id) as case_count,max(as.case_id) as max_case_id,a.actor_full_name
fromactors a,actor_case_assignment as
wherea.case_id = actor_case_assignment.case_idand a.actor_full_name_uppercase like upper('martin%')    -- this field
is(shouldbe) indexed

group bya.actor_full_name
order bya.actor_full_name_uppercase -- this field is(should be) indexed

This query will not pick up any actors that a NOT assigned to a case,
but you said in your criteria that all actors are assigned to at least
one case. This query relys on that assumption and eliminates the expense
of an outer join.

Also, you are always getting max_case_id but it is obvious that this
will be the relevent case where case_count == 1 you can simply ignore
max_case_id when case_count != 1

try running this query with explain to compare against the others.
Also, try adding an index to the actor_full_name_uppercase column since
you are using it in an order by clause and searching on it. indexes will
incur slight performance expenses when inserting and updating.

cheers.