Re: bugzilla (Was: What do you want me to do?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: bugzilla (Was: What do you want me to do?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan writes:
>

>>Your suggestion elsewhere of "pick your second favourite app" is likely
>>to result in a more scattergun approach. Also, if it had the imprimatur
>>of the PostgreSQL community to some extent appraoches to projects might
>>be more welcome - "Dear open-source-project-manager, on behalf of the
>>PostgrSQL community we would like to offer you assistance in making sure
>>your application works with PostgrSQL, the world's most advanced
>>open-source database system...."
>>

>The only way someone is going to get work done on a sustained basis is if
>he's got a personal interest, the so-called "itch".  You're not going to
>achieve anything, except possibly being ridiculed, if you start sending
>out form letters "on behalf of the PostgreSQL community".
>
>If people already support PostgreSQL to some extent, go there and test it
>and send in patches with improvements.  If people don't support PostgreSQL
>yet, get a good sense for what the feeling of the project maintainers
>toward database abstraction layers is, then throw out a design plan.  But
>the key is to show results, not intentions.  That is how open-source
>development works.

*shrug*

I'm not sending out anything.

OpenSource works in lots of different ways, in my experience. Some
projects welcome all comers, some are very exclusive, for example.

Anyway, in relation to bugzilla, I am working on stuff to submit to
them, so I won't be faced with "show me the code" challenges. I nearly
have a db-independant table creation module ready, but that will be just
a start.

cheers

andrew