Re: ERROR: out of free buffers: time to abort! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: ERROR: out of free buffers: time to abort!
Date
List pgsql-general
Dave Smith wrote:

> I am running postgres 7.2.4 on SCO Open Server 5.0.4 and am
> sporadically seeing these messages in the log. What causes this message
> and what do I need to look for in terms of system settings to correct
> the problem.
>
> Currently my memory settings are the defaults shipped with postgres.

You have to increase the postgresql.conf parameter shared_buffers. It is
the number of 8k pages held in the shared buffer cache of the
postmaster. Try anything between 512 and 8192 to get started and read on
PostgreSQL performance tuning a little.

Jan