Re: Bug - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Bug
Date
List pgadmin-support
Дмитрий Попов wrote:

>pgAdmin III, v1.0.0, pgSql 7.3.1 Windows Russian
>
>Hello!
>
>PostrgeSQL on windows make SuperUser's name symbols as current system
>user. When user in windows include russian, PgSQL make user with
>russian symbols too.
>But pgAmin replace it to "_".
>

>For Example: My user was "Dmitriy" (Дмитрий). There is PgSQL error:
>'Uncknown user "_______"'.
>
>I know, that russian usernames it's bad, but differnt other pgSQL
>manager's (like EMS PostrgeSQL manager) work with russian names
>correct.

Hi Dmitriy,

actually I didn't understand exactly what the problem is, so I'm
guessing that you got a conversion problem. Do you have SQL_ASCII as
database encoding? If yes, this is a problem, because Russian characters
are not ascii.
There are two options:

1) (the better option)
use UNICODE or the Russian encoding in the database.

2) Use a newer pgAdmin3 version, we have a new workaround for SQL_ASCII
databases with wrong characters.

Regards,
Andreas