Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:

>> > That does not help, since for O_SYNC the OS'es (those I know) do not group those
>> > writes together. Oracle allows more than one writer to busy more than one disk(subsystem) and circumvent other per
processlimitations (mainly on platforms without AIO).

>> Yes, I think the best way would be to let the background process write a
>> bunch of pages, then fsync() the files written to. If one tends to have
>> many dirty buffers to the same file, this will group them together and
>> the OS can optimize that. If one really has completely random access,
>> then there is nothing to group.
>
> Agreed.  This might force enough stuff out to disk the checkpoint/sync()
> would be OK.  Jan, have you tested this?

As said, not using fsync() but sync() at that place. This only makes a
real difference when you're not running PostgreSQL on a dedicated
server. And yes, it really works well.

Jan