Re: Experimental ARC implementation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Experimental ARC implementation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:

>> What doing frequent fdatasync/fsync during a constant ongoing checkpoint
>> will cause is to significantly lower the physical write storm happening
>> at the sync(), which is causing huge problems right now.
>
> I don't see that frankly because sync() is syncing everying on that
> machine, including other file systems.  Reducing our own load from sync
> will not help with other applications writing to drives.

You have 4 kids, Bruce. If you buy only two lollypops, how many of them
can share the room unattended?

What I described is absolutely sufficient for a dedicated DB server. We
will be able to coordinate the resources between the various components
of PostgreSQL, no doubt. Everyone who has significant performance
problems because of I/O saturation, and is still keeping other I/O heavy
applications on the same box instead of separating the things, is either
not serious or dumb ... or both.

Jan

PS: I know your kids can, but it serves too well ... ;-)