Re: create function for trigger question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darren Ferguson
Subject Re: create function for trigger question
Date
List pgsql-general
Barbera

What you have written is a stored procedure not a trigger function.
Trigger functions until 7.2 return generally OPAQUE and after 7.2 they
return TRIGGER. See the example of a trigger below for your function

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION customer_bak_proc() RETURNS TRIGGER AS '
BEGIN
  IF TG_OP = ''DELETE'' THEN
      INSERT INTO customer_bak (id,name,value) VALUES
(OLD.id,OLD.name,OLD.value);
      RETURN NULL;
  END IF;

  IF TG_OP = ''UPDATE'' THEN
     INSERT INTO customer_bak (id,name,value) VALUES
(NEW.id,NEW.name,NEW.value);
     RETURN NEW;
  END IF;
  RETURN NULL;
END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER customer_bak_trigger AFTER DELETE OR UPDATE ON customers
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE customer_bak_proc();

What happens above is create the function then create the trigger on the
table and call the function based on what action occurred.

The function is in PL/PGSQL and it basically checks which operation and
then checks the OLD array if it is a delete operation or the NEW array
if it is an update operation.

NEW / OLD will hold all of the variables in the row that you just
updated / deleted and will access them via name and the dot (.) operator.

HTH
Darren