Re: Open Sourcing pgManage - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Open Sourcing pgManage
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> JSP, remotely, through Jakarta-Tomcat?  One of the limitations of
>> pgAdmin,
>> as far as I'm concerned, is the fact that you can run it remotely ... if
>> you could run pgManage under something like Jakarta-Tomcat as a JSP,
>> that
>> would be *really* cool ...
>>

>> D'oh, just clued into the 'java' aspect ... Joshua, will this run as a
>

> pgAdmin is designed for a good interactive experience, which isn't
> achievable using web technologies. SSL connection is supported, so on
> not-too-slow lines remote usage should be possible without security
> issues, or over a VPN (I'm working like this).
> For web access, phpPGadmin should be usable; haven't tried so far.

I don't think any of this contradicts what Marc said.

And, as Joshua pointed out it could with some work be made to run as an
applet, which would be very cool for, say, an ISP to provide (nothing at
all required for the user to install).

Don't get me wrong - pgadmin is cool - I especially recommend it to my
Windows oriented clients and colleagues who hate using command lines.

I think there is room for lots of GUIs, though, and having a Java admin
GUI would be cool too, as would having a servlet/JSP based admin client
deployable as a web archive.

(BTW, have a look at the phpPgAdmin screen shots at
http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/?page=screenshots - they are quite
nice, even though I am not a PHP fan).

cheers

andrew