Re: regular backups - super user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stuart Johnston
Subject Re: regular backups - super user
Date
List pgsql-general
DeJuan Jackson wrote:
> quick answer: research/read the pg_hba.conf in the data directory.
>
> Jeff MacDonald wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> WHen i run pg_dumpall as the super user [postgres in my case] it asks
>> for a password for every database. I don't know my users passwords. Is
>> there a way to make the super user able to backup without passwords ?

If your users always connect through TCP/IP then you can set local
connections to not use passwords but I'm pretty sure there is no way to
configure this just for the postgres user (I wish you could).

If you need passworded local connections for users then you'll probably
want to turn on 'ident' mode just long enough to set the password for
the postgres user (or some other 'super user').  Then you may also want
to use the PGPASSWORD environment variable or the .pgpass file to avoid
typing the password repeatedly.