Re: database speed - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Re: database speed
Date
List pgsql-general
Vivek Khera wrote:

>DM> The index bloat problem can occur when you have a an indexed SERIAL
>DM> column whose value always increases, and you delete older rows on a
>DM> regular basis.  VACUUM recycles the row storage, but the index never
>DM> shrinks.
>
>I get this on tables which are updated a lot, even if I don't do any
>mass deletes of older rows.  The indexes on other columns also bloat
>rapidly on some tables.  It is a significant problem, especially since
>reindex locks the tables for significant amounts of time.

Is ist possible for a trigger to fork off a 'reindex' command and the
trigger terminates leaving the reindex running?

Using PL/PGSQL?

If a counter were kept in some table for each row, and after a certain
amount of updates/deletes, reindex were run on an automatic, more often
time frequency?