Re: ALTER Table (another) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Ayers
Subject Re: ALTER Table (another)
Date
List pgsql-general
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Gaetano Mendola wrote:
>
>> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

[snip]

On a similar note, it would be nice if you could do an ALTER TABLE to
update the field definitions. Recently, I had the need to change the
size of a VARCHAR field from 5 characters to 10 characters. This was due
to a change in the underlying application, one that at the time of
adding the field to the table was thought to be adequate - well, times
and ideas change, users clamor for something different, etc...

The only way to do what I needed done was to dump the table, drop it,
alter the sql in the dump, then re-import it. While it didn't take long
to do, it seemed like a big band-aid - something you should be able to
do with an ALTER TABLE, but can't (I am currently using PG 7.3.2)...

Is this something coming down the pipeline in the future?

Andrew Ayers
Phoenix, Arizona

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.