Re: ALTER Table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gaetano Mendola
Subject Re: ALTER Table
Date
List pgsql-general
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> Alex wrote:
>
>> is it possible to add a column to a table at a specific place ?
>> Reading the man pages i could not figure that out.
>

> Why do you want to add it at specific location? What does it achieve?

I miss the same feature too, this is my reason:
is just to keep clean your schema, I have in my revision control system
all tables with fields grouped for tipology:

CREATE TABLE a(

   G1  as INTEGER,
   Gn  as INTEGER,
   H1  as INTEGER,
   Hm  as INTEGER
);

when I add let me say Gn+1 in my RCS I have:

CREATE TABLE a(

   G1   as INTEGER,
   Gn   as INTEGER,
   Gn+1 as INTEGER,
   H1   as INTEGER,
   Hm   as INTEGER
);

and will be nice to have in my fourther dumps
the same structure, just to do a DIFF betwen two schemas
without become crazy!

I hope I was clear enough.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola