Re: Press Release - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Press Release
Date
Re: Press Release
List pgsql-advocacy
This paragraph:

HIGH AVAILABILITY
   Expansion of PostgreSQL's Free Space Map disk management feature to support
continuous index maintenance is the last "piece of the puzzle" in providing
24/7/365 uptime for PostgreSQL databases. The many hardware solutions vendors
who include PostgreSQL as the embedded database in their applications may now
eliminate the need for any data locking or downtime in their applications.

I believe is false. As long as you have to vacuum the above is not true. Also
as long as their is a potential that we have to use the reindex command the above
isn't true. Anything that the "system" requires (which does not include transactions)
that causes a lock for any period of time would invalidate the above.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org